350 Bay Area is looking for a youth climate organizer who will help to develop a mobilization team that sparks youth and young adults to work together with 350 Bay Area to raise awareness, become change makers and a positive substantial influence on the climate movement.
Climate Crisis: It’s Real! It’s Here! Youth Can Fix it!
Youth and young adults have a stake in the future. It is imperative that they are actively involved in making decisions and leading the work to stop the climate crisis.
350 Bay Area’s mission is to build a grassroots climate movement in the Bay Area & beyond to eliminate carbon pollution and press for socially equitable solutions and a just transition to clean energy.
Youth Climate Organizer Scope of Responsibilities
Since this is a new 350 Bay Area position, the full scope of responsibilities is not yet complete. A few major responsibilities are listed below:
- Assist in building at 350 Bay Area a volunteer mobilization team which would include all ages with emphasis on youth & young adults
- Develop, in collaboration with the mobilization team, strategies for planning and carrying out actions, projects and outreach
- Organize volunteers to assist with 1-2 ongoing campaigns at a time. Serve as liaison to these initiatives beginning with the Climate Emergency Mobilization Task Force (CEMTF) and Stop the Money Pipeline (STMP)
- Coordinate mobilization with 350 Bay Area local groups: San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Contra Costa, East Bay
- Serve as a 350 Bay Area liaison with youth climate programs such as Youth v. Apocalypse, Sunrise Movement, XR Youth, and others
- Amplify climate work using multiple forms of media
- Become a member of the 350BA policy team.
Report to: 350 Bay Area Operations Director
Experience and Job Qualifications
- Strong understanding of the climate crisis and advancing the mission of 350 Bay Area
- Awareness of the issues impacting this generation including climate change and environmental justice
- A passion for inspiring youth and young adults to take action
- Relevant experience and/or demonstrated interest in climate and/or youth organizing. Preferably 1-2 years
- Ability to work closely and effectively with other people in a team environment
- Ability to work professionally in a volunteer driven organization
- Excellent organizational/communication skills
- Experience with outreach and desire to grow grassroots organizing skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. (bilingual is a plus)
- Self starter–able to be creative in building this program with limited guidance and supervision
- Strong computer skills: Google Apps, Asana, Slack, Microsoft Office, Nation Builder database, and Social Media.
This is a half time position, 20 hours per week @ $25.00/hour with benefits for six months, and the possibility of becoming a permanent position.
350 Bay Area is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic, gender and ability backgrounds to apply. The start time is upon hiring a qualified candidate. 350 Bay Area is partnering with Active Allies to recruit candidates and Sponsors to support the position.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org