350 Bay Area is looking for a youth climate organizer who will help lead a team to develop a program that sparks young adults, in the 18 to twenty-something age range, to work together to raise awareness, become change makers and fixers for the climate within 350BA.
Climate Crisis: It’s Real! It’s Here! Youth Can Fix it!
350 Bay Area’s mission is to build a grassroots climate movement in the Bay Area & beyond to eliminate carbon pollution and press for socially equitable solutions and a just transition to clean energy. Youth and young adults have a stake in their future. Thus it is important that they are actively involved in making decisions and leading the work to stop the climate crisis.
Youth Climate Organizer Scope of Responsibilities
Since this is a new 350 BA program, the full scope of responsibilities have not yet been determined. A few major responsibilities are listed below:
- Build 350 Bay Area volunteer climate youth team
- In collaboration with the youth team, develop the climate youth program and strategic planning for future actions and projects.
- Serve as a 350BA liaison with youth climate programs such as Youth v. Apocalypse, Sunrise Movement, XR Youth, etc.
- Report to 350 Bay Area Executive Director.
- Become a member of the 350BA policy team
Experience and Job Qualifications
- Strong understanding of the climate crisis and advancing the mission of 350 BA.
- Awareness of the issues impacting this generation including climate change and environmental justice.
- A passion for inspiring youth and young adults to take action.
- At least 1-2 years of previous organizing experience or involvement with youth and climate related activities.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with other people in a team environment.
- Ability to work professionally in a volunteer driven organization.
- Excellent organizational/communication skills
- Experience with outreach and desire to grow grassroots organizing skills
- Experience and skill speaking in public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. (bilingual is a plus)
- Strong computer skills: Google Apps, Asana, Slack, Microsoft Office, Nation Builder database, and Social Media
This is a half time position, 20 hours per week @ $25.00/hour with benefits for six months, the possibility of becoming a permanent position. 350BA is an equal opportunity employer that highly values staff diversity and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic, gender and ability backgrounds to apply. The start time is upon hiring a qualified candidate. 350BayArea is partnering with ClimateSparking to recruit candidates and Sponsors to support the position.