- This event has passed.
Earth Day of Action: Divest
Thursday, April 23, 2020
April 23rd is the National day of Earth Week 2020 focusing on Divestment.
We need you SF, Berkeley, Oakland, Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Peninsula, South Bay, and across the country… Join us by taking these easy online actions targeting JP Morgan Chase. Join us to Review Chase Banks’ Climate & Community Destruction!
Digital Chase Takeover
Video Here & Toolkit Below
Why “Takeover” Chase? JPMorgan Chase is the world’s worst banker of climate change — by a wide margin. It is profiting off climate chaos and human rights abuses by providing $269 billion in financing for fossil fuels since the Paris Climate Accords while increasing this funding each year. Chase Bank is the world’s largest funder of ultra-deepwater oil & gas, coal, tar sands, and the largest US funder of the Jordan Cove fracked gas project in Southern Oregon. This must stop!
You can help. Follow these four easy steps!
- Go to a Chase Review Site: Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, Google, Yelp, and Yellow Pages. Full instructions below.
- Borrow or write a review (sample language below) of Chase Banks’ destruction to communities and climate. Make sure to take a screenshot or photo of your review!!
- Optional: Add a photo of art you create or pick any image from our Stop the Money Pipeline Art kit
- Share your review. Post a snapshot of your review on social media and “like” others’ posted reviews!
1. Go to a Chase Review Site(s) – There are SIX great options
→ Links here, FULL instructions HOW to post on these sites at the BOTTOM.
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/chase
INSTAGRAM: Chase (@chase)
- GOOGLE: https://www.google.com/ type in “Chase Bank (your city)”
YELP: Use this Yelp link to find a branch near you
YELLOW PAGES: Use this Yellow Pages link to find a branch near you.
→ See other Digital Chase Takeover reviews? “Like” them!
2. Write your Review – Use one of ours or make your own. Be sure to use Hashtags #DigitalChaseTakeover #StopTheMoneyPipeline and Take a screenshot or photo of your review!
- Chase is the world’s biggest funder of fossil fuels–$269 billion 2016-2019. Do you want to be associated with a bank that funds the destruction of our planet?
- Who is funding the proposed Jordan Cove OR pipeline and massive liquid natural gas terminal? Chase! This project includes disastrous destruction of local land and water, communities and culture. Chase: Stop funding destruction.
- The oil price war shows the risk of investment in fossil fuels. Many in the fossil fuel industry are in deep debt and only surviving because of subsidies and bailouts from the government. Now Chase is asking for ANOTHER handout! Message to Chase: Invest in clean energy, not dirty fossil fuels.
- Just like the 2008 financial crisis exposed the risks of Chase Bank’s own credit instruments, so this crisis exposes Chase’s failure to warn about the risk of fossil fuel investment.
- Save our Oregon resources and stop global climate destruction. Chase: NO funding for the proposed Jordan Cove Pipeline and Energy Terminal.
- The Lead Independent Director on the Board of Chase, Lee Raymond, has been on Chase’s Board 33 years. Raymond used to be the CEO of ExxonMobil. He funded climate science denial. #ExxonKnew–did Chase?
- Chase is using our money to destroy our future. Fossil fuels are just a small part of Chase’s investments but a big part of climate destruction. Time to move our money to investment in a healthy planet.
- Concerned about the climate? Follow the money! Big banks are pumping billions of dollars into fossil fuel companies that are destroying our climate. Chase is the WORLD’s biggest funder of the fossil fuel industry. Chase, stop using our money to pay for our destruction!
- Chase is a major reason that fossil fuel companies keep drilling. We need to keep oil in the ground! Chase can afford to end these investments and invest instead in clean energy and a better future for our children. Chase: Get rid of the dirty fuels in your portfolio!
DIY Reviews – Mix and Match These Phrases
JPMorgan Chase . . .
Next Steps . . If you’re in a hole and you want to get out, stop digging! We need an immediate end to the expansion of fossil fuel extraction and infrastructure, and a historic redirection of capital towards a Just Transition to renewable energy.
3. Optional: Include a Photo
Lots of great images you are welcome to use here: Stop the Money Pipeline Art kit or make your own.
4. Share Your Review
- Take a screenshot or photo of your review
- Post your screenshot/photo and invite others to join you!
- Hashtags: #DigitalChaseTakeover #StopTheMoneyPipeline
ADDENDUM: Exactly HOW to post on the following review sites:
- Make a comment under one or more of their posts. For example, under the post for the Chase mobile app you can ask:
- Will the Chase mobile app inform me when Chase Bank stops funding fossil fuel development?
- Scroll through the comments and look for others referring to the Digital Chase Takeover and then “Like” those comments, or reply to them.
- You can also comment on Chase branches that have their own Facebook pages. To locate a branch near you type in Facebook’s search bar: “Chase Bank near me” or “Chase Bank MYCITY MYSTATE” and follow the links to any local branches that appear.
- Scroll through the tweets and pick one
- Click on the Comment field on any Twitter post to add your review.
INSTAGRAM: Chase (@chase)
- Click on a Chase post and add a comment.
- Scroll through the other comments and look for others referring to the Digital Chase Takeover and them.
Disclaimer: By using your own Yelp and Google accounts for reviews, you may lose privileges or be removed from the review sites because of the content of your messages. Therefore, if your own account is important to preserve for any reason, we recommend creating a new account for the Digital Chase Takeover.
Only those with Gmail accounts can leave reviews on Maps. Use this Chase Locator link to find a branch near you.
- Enter your zip code or city and state and you’ll find the bank website.
- Click on directions and you will end up on the Google Maps page for that site.
- Scroll down to the review section (past the photos) and click on Write a review and get started.
- Click on the icon to add an image.
- Use this Yelp link to find a branch near you.
- At the top of the page, select Portland, OR and enter your location or click on Current Location.
- Click on the search icon in the red box.
- Scroll down past any non-Chase banks and select a branch to review.
- Click on Write a Review underneath the stars.
- You must sign up with Yelp to be able to post a review. You may sign up using a Google login or a facebook login or create a login using your email just for Yelp.
- After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email from Yelp. Follow the link they send you to activate your account and post your review.
- Also mark existing Yelp reviews as useful and cool to promote our folk’s posts.
- Use this Yellow Pages link to find a branch near you.
- At the top of the page, select Portland, OR and enter your location or click on Use My Location.
- Click on Find in the yellow box.
- Scroll down and select a branch to review.
- Click on the stars in the upper left body of the page. If there are no reviews, click “Be the first to review!” next to the stars to start a review
NOTE: Reviews on this site need to be at least 100 characters long. Click on Add a Photo to select a file from your device.
- You must sign up with Yellow Pages to be able to post a review. You may sign up using a Google login or a facebook login or create a login using your email just for Yellow Pages.
- After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email from Yellow Pages. Follow the link they send you to activate your account and post your review.
- Mark existing reviews as helpful to promote our folk’s posts. Click Helpful, not Flag.